NAME: David Paarlberg
BAND AFFILIATION: The Hollows
INSTRUMENT: Keyboards (plus a little harmonica, trumpet, guitar)
1. THE FIRST ALBUM I EVER BOUGHT WAS… With my own money? Probably that Beastie Boys instrumental compilation The In Sound from Way Out. I had a couple Beatles and Grateful Dead records before that, but they were all birthday/Christmas presents from my mother.
2. THE FIRST CONCERT THAT I EVER SAW WAS… Either Ben Folds Five or the Who. The Who, I think – it was a couple years before Entwistle died.
3. THE FIRST MUSICAL INSTRUMENT I EVER OWNED OR PLAYED WAS… Piano; my family had this old upright in the living room. I took lessons for a year or so when I was six or seven years old, but my teacher told my folks it wasn’t worth it because I never practiced (which was true). I didn’t pick it up again until I was about 17. In that ten-year interim, I learned trumpet for the school band.
4. THE FIRST SONG THAT I EVER PERFORMED IN PUBLIC WAS… In the fifth grade, I played “I Just Can’t Wait to Be King” from “The Lion King” on trumpet with my teacher accompanying on piano. A year or two later, at a church talent show I played the Beatles’ “Got to Get You into My Life” and Fleetwood Mac’s “Go Your Own Way” with some friends from the congregation (including Brenda Sauter from the Feelies and her husband Rich Barnes).
5. THE FIRST BAND I WAS EVER IN WAS… The Hollows! I waited for a good one.
Five Firsts: Ron Morrison of the Hollows