Review and photographs by Timothy Reidy
Top 10 concerts outside the Albany city limits:
1. O+ Festival @ various locations, Kingston, October 12 & 13: It was a complete artistic experience in Uptown Kingston.
2. Yes @ Foxwoods Resort Casino, Ledyard, Connecticut, April 5: The better Yes concert this year. “Close to the Edge” was a super number here.
3. Rush @ SPAC, Saratoga Springs, June 25: Good tune selection, and a string section for a set.
4. The Parlor with Alpenglow and Yellowbird @ BSP Lounge, Kingston, June 29: After the Beacon Riverfest, this really shined. They will have to argue for years whether the Parlor was better than Alpenglow that night.
5. Rest Fest @ CAC Woodside, Troy, September 6&7: Two fine days of fine music and fine folks.
6. SAWfest @ Salem Art Works, Salem, July 20: I love SAWfest, and this year it was a real nice one.
7. The Luyas with Julian Lynch and Lux Perpetua @ PhilaMOCA, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania: I really like the Luyas, and I absolutely loved Julian Lynch at PhilaMOCA.
8. Railbird with Home Body and And the Kids @ the Guilded Brick, Holyoke, Massachusetts, March 14: Might be the best constructed bill of the year at the Guilded Brick, and And the Kids got better last time out.
9. M.A.K.U. Soundsystem with Taina Asili @ Freedom Square, Troy, June 15: Fun dancing and great sounds had by all at Freedom Square.
10. MS MR with Titanics @ Vapor Nightclub, Saratoga Springs. The best show of the best new series of shows that I know. Both bands were fun this Monday night at Vapor.
MORE OF NIPPERTOWN’S BEST OF 2013 LISTS
Timothy Reidy’s Best Albany Concerts of the Year
Stanley Johnson’s Top 15 Most Memorable Entertainment Events of the Year
Fred Rudofsky’s Top 25 Concerts of the Year
Timothy Reidy’s Year in Review Video
Mike Hotter’s Favorite Albums of the Year
Fred Rudofsky’s Best Albums of the Year
J Hunter’s Best Concerts of the Year
J Hunter’s Best Jazz Albums, Part II
J Hunter’s Best Jazz Albums, Part I
Got a Best of 2013 list that you’d like to share with Nippertown readers? Best concerts of the year? Best Local 518 music moments of the year? Best plays? Best art gallery exhibits? Best books by local authors? Best whatever? Please keep it local, but send it along to email@example.com