NAME: Jesse Lenat
INSTRUMENT: Guitar & Vocals
1. THE FIRST ALBUM I EVER BOUGHT WAS … Miles Davis’ Bitches Brew from a guy selling albums out of boxes at a NYC street fair.
2. THE FIRST CONCERT THAT I EVER SAW WAS … AC/DC’s Back in Black tour at the Philadelphia Spectrum. That’s not really true…that was the first concert I decided to go to (or more precisely, my big brother decided!). I had been fortunate enough to have parents that took my brother and me to tons of concerts while I was a baby and young boy…Pete Seeger, Elizabeth Cotten, the Weavers (I’m in the documentary about them, “Wasn’t that a Time,” as like an eight-year-old), Stan Rogers, Miles Davis and BB King, to name a few.
3. THE FIRST MUSICAL INSTRUMENT I EVER OWNED OR PLAYED WAS … A guitar when I was nine. I had wanted a violin, but we couldn’t afford one, and we had a guy living in a shack on our property who played guitar, so my parents said, “Why don’t you just get a guitar, like your big brother, and Jim can give you lessons as part of his rent?” I still want to learn fiddle!
4. THE FIRST SONG THAT I EVER PERFORMED IN PUBLIC WAS … AC/DC. I’m not sure if the first one was “Whole Lotta Rosie,” “Beatin’ Around the Bush” or “Go Down”… haha.
5. THE FIRST BAND I WAS EVER IN WAS … My brother and I have kinda been in bands since I was eight. Our first concert was in a geodesic dome in the woods at The School In Rose Valley, and we had two of our teachers play drums and bass: Mike Nowell and Jonathan Bepler. But the first actual band name we had was Jaghat Sandhu – that was in middle school/high school.
Jesse Lenat is better known around Nippertown as an actor, having appeared recently at Capital Repertory Theatre (“The Sparkley Clean Funeral Singers”) and Williamstown Theatre Festival (“The Last Goodbye”), but he’ll strap on his guitar to perform on Saturday (September 21) at Farm Aid at the Saratoga Performing Arts Center in Saratoga Springs – his third Farm Aid appearance.