NAME: Juston Stens
BAND AFFILIATION: Juston Stens & the Get Real Gang
INSTRUMENT: Guitar, drums, vocals
1. THE FIRST ALBUM I EVER BOUGHT WAS … I grew up in a time when everyone dubbed music on cassette tape and shared it that way – “ancient file sharing.” The first album I remember buying, having never heard it, was Trompe Le Monde by the Pixies.
2. THE FIRST CONCERT THAT I EVER SAW WAS … I wish I could remember. I saw Bad Brains play at City Gardens in Trenton, NJ. The earliest “big concert event” that comes to mind was Lollapalooza in 1994, back when it was a traveling show.
3. THE FIRST MUSICAL INSTRUMENT I EVER OWNED OR PLAYED WAS … I don’t remember this as much, as I’ve pieced together stories from my mother, but they say it was a harmonica that I would carry around in the little front pocket of my overalls.
4. THE FIRST SONG THAT I EVER PERFORMED IN PUBLIC WAS … A drummer friend and I played a horrible instrumental version of “Stairway to Heaven” at the eighth grade talent show. I did not win a prize.
5. THE FIRST BAND I WAS EVER IN WAS … ODDNORMAL. Punk-rock music to skateboard to and cry about your ex-girlfriend. Haha. 1991-1999.
Juston Stens – former drummer for Dr. Dog – and his current band the Get Real Gang head into Nippertown for a pair of shows this weekend, previewing his upcoming sophomore album, “Share the Road.” They’ll be headlining the Farm Aid Eve show at Putnam Den in Saratoga Springs at 10pm on Friday (September 20) and in the support slot for the Charlie Watts Riots’ CD release party/official LarkFest after-party at Valentine’s Music Hall in Albany at 6pm on Saturday (September 21).