NAME: Dylan Perrillo
BBAND AFFILIATION: Dylan Perrillo Orchestra, Way Down
INSTRUMENT: Upright Bass
1. THE FIRST ALBUM I EVER BOUGHT WAS … The first album I ever bought was a live recording of Electric Light Orchestra when I was probably about seven or eight years old.
2. THE FIRST CONCERT THAT I EVER SAW WAS … The first concert I ever saw was Chuck Negron, lead singer of Three Dog Night in the plaza in this here city of Albany. I can’t remember how old I was, but I remember it being swell because he was autographing pictures at the end of the show. Pretty grand for a little tike’s first concert.
3. THE FIRST MUSICAL INSTRUMENT I EVER OWNED OR PLAYED WAS … The first instrument I ever had was a guitar that I got as a present when I was seven. My pop pop gave it to me, and I played it a whole lot and still play it til this day. It wasn’t until a couple years ago when I picked the upright bass after listening to the likes of Charles Mingus and Eddie Gomez.
4. THE FIRST SONG THAT I EVER PERFORMED IN PUBLIC WAS … I have no idea what the first song was that I performed in public. But, I have a feeling it was something about gum drops or baseball games in kindergarten.
5. THE FIRST BAND I WAS EVER IN WAS … The first band I was in was with one of my best buds, R.J. Curreri. It was just a duo that we created in first grade. Nothing too big, we went on a couple of national tours playing songs like the ever-famous, “Tango Mango.” It was a song about a stuffed monkey. Then in seventh grade we decided to take a hiatus to focus on our studies.
Dylan Perrillo and the Dylan Perrillo Orchestra return to the City Beer Hall in Albany at 9pm on Tuesday (September 17) for their regular third-Tuesday-of-the-month acoustic big band session. Admission is free.