NAME: James Frederick
1. THE FIRST ALBUM I EVER BOUGHT WAS … The Gin Blossoms’ New Miserable Experience. I also learned to play guitar by playing along to that album.
2. THE FIRST CONCERT THAT I EVER SAW WAS … The Steve Miller Band with Huey Lewis & the News. My dad was a big Huey Lewis fan and thought this would be a good SPAC concert to bring my younger brother and I to. My brother was pretty much done with the concert thing about halfway through Steve Miller Band, but I refused to leave until they played “Abracadabra.”
3. THE FIRST MUSICAL INSTRUMENT I EVER OWNED OR PLAYED WAS … Ukulele. There is a picture of when I was four years old with a ukulele in my hand. Oh, you meant, like, really played? I took piano lessons in elementary school, but I wasn’t feeling it. My dad gave me one of his old guitars when I was 18.
4. THE FIRST SONG THAT I EVER PERFORMED IN PUBLIC WAS … “Crayons,” a song that I wrote. That was 10 years ago! Wow. I played it at Caffe Lena’s open mic. After I played, a guy that had blown me away with his set said, “Cool song.” I will never forget that.
5. THE FIRST BAND I WAS EVER IN WAS … Unnamed. Well, we tried a few different names. We played some open mics, but things fizzled out before we really needed a name.
Singer-songwriter James Frederick celebrates the tenth anniversary of his first performance in front of a live audience, which occurred on stage at Caffe Lena in Saratoga Springs, where Frederick will be headlining on Wednesday (June 19). These days, Frederick serves as one of the rotating team of open mic hosts, and he’ll be bringing along a number of special guest musicians with him for Wednesday’s show. Zachary “Sonny” Edwards will open the show at 7:30pm. Admission is $5.