Survey: Best Rock Movie?

Not trying to influence the voting or nothing...

Not trying to influence the voting or nothing…

Shortly after the release of David Chase’s film “Not Fade Away” (read Richard Brody’s review here) earlier this year, Rolling Stone decided to survey their readers by conducting an online poll to determine the best rock & roll-themed movies of all time.

Here are the results of that readers’ poll:

1. “The Runaways”
2. “The Wall”
3. “Almost Famous”
4. “This Is Spinal Tap”
5. “Tommy”
6. “A Hard Day’s Night”
7. “The Doors”
8. “The Commitments”
9. “School of Rock”
10. “Quadrophenia”

Some good choices, of course, as well as some woefully wrong-headed blunders – Val Kilmer as Jim Morrison? Really? But it seemed pretty obvious to us that the Twihards had hijacked the survey. Don’t get me wrong. I thought “The Runaways” was a fun ride, but best rock film of all time? No way…

So we found ourselves wondering, “What rock films would make the list if our considerably more astute Nippertown readers were making the selections?” We’re talking narrative films here, rather than documentaries or concert films. And we really would love to know what you think… Please submit your selection of the best rock film (or films) as a comment below, and if you really want to vote for Oliver Stone’s “The Doors,” well, as Bobby Brown says, “That’s your perogative…”

17 Responses to “Survey: Best Rock Movie?”

1. Kirsten says:

I’m gonna have to say the Blues Brothers as number one. It’s aged really well. It looks fabulous on Blue-Ray. It’s still hysterical. That scene with James Brown in the church has got to be the best music-related scene in a move ever. Hard to pick a best scene though. Aretha in the dinner…. and the people dancing in the street. Still my favorite part is when Elwood and Jake get pelted with bottles in the redneck country bar and then turn things around with “Rawhide.”

2. Julio says:

I was born in 1983 and don’t love The Who and do love the Doors, Beatles, and Floyd. Not sure why all the hate towards the Doors movie? I love it and have enjoyed it in many settings with many people. Val Kilmer did an amazing job and sang all the songs in the movie, it a fun journey to take, even if the movie isn’t perfect, better than most on the above list. Also, I tend to rate some movies better based on re-watchability, So…

Here’s my list,
    1. Almost Famous
    2. The Doors
    3. Eddie and the Cruisers (I like part II as well, more because of the tunes)
    4. Buddy Holly Story
    5. LaBomba
    6. Rock and Roll High School
    7. Hard Days Night
    8. Hedwig and the Angry Inch
    9. 24 Hour Party People
    10. School of Rock/ The Rocker

While the Wall is interesting, once you’ve seen it once or twice, its hard to re-watch. I’d rather just watch a concert film. Same goes for Tommy. Stoned was a decent flick. I liked the runaways but didn’t leave any lasting impression. Great Balls of Fire was a fun ride. I have not seen the commitments or not fade away, but have added them to my netflix que.

Although great movies, weren’t sure they were “rock” worthy enough
    Ray
    Walk the Line
    Crazy Heart
    Rocky Horror

What does the author have to say? Please provide your list and explain your disdain for the Doors.

3. sandy mcknight says:

grace of my heart
    jailhouse rock
    hard day’s night
    spinal tap

4. Lindsay says:

Purple Rain! : )

5. Michael Eck says:

A Face in the Crowd
    Privilege
    Times Square
    Breaking Glass

6. Bowtie says:

I’m not going to think too hard about this or else I’ll never be able to write anything without excessive qualification. The first one that comes to mind and the movie I can watch over and over is:
    “Spinal Tap”

7. Ted Were says:

No “documentaries or concert films”? Man, that’s tough. I guess “Woodstock” or “The Last Waltz” wouldn’t apply then. Guess that narrows it down to “This is Spinal Tap” for me.

Leaves me wondering who would be brave (or dumb enough) to take on the Hendrix story?

8. LiLi says:

Kiss Meets The Phantom of the Park. :)

9. Richard Brody says:

Top two are “Almost Famous” and “This is Spinal Tap”. Some others not mentioned that I liked: “The Harder They Come”, “Easy Rider”, “American Graffiti” and “I’m Not There”.

10. What? Nobody needs “Help!”?

11. Carl says:

Surprised that no one has put “Backbeat” on the list — it’s a tremendously well-played, well-acted portrayal of the Beatles’ early days in Hamburg. While it centers on the love story between Stu Sutcliffe and Astrid Kirchherr, it really captures the energy of those early Beatles shows.

12. Fred says:

“All You Need Is Cash” by The Rutles should be number one on anyone’s list of greatest rock films–brilliant satire, and superb songs by Neil Innes. Even The Beatles themselves, especially George Harrison, loved the film.

13. Rick Reuben says:

You all realize Spinal Tap is a documentary, right?

Tom Waits – Big Time

And to make sure we have a little diversity in this list:

CB4
    Fear of a Black Hat

And Stop Making Sense should be mentioned.

And The Wall is the clear winner. Nothing comes close.

Almost Famous is more romantic comedy than rock and roll movie. Go buy some whiskey and drink it while watching Cocksucker Blues to try to understand this.

14. Normando says:

Still Crazy – Tap gone English.
    Tuff Turf – stretching the genre to include the Jim Carroll performance.

15. KGB says:

Almost Famous
    This is Spinal Tap
    High Fidelity
    That Thing You Do
    Once
    Walk Hard: the Dewey Cox Story (seriously, it’s so underrated)

16. Zachariah (with Elvin Jones, the James Gang, rock western)
    Electric Apricot: The Quest For Festeroo (like Spinal Tap, a fiction, with Les Claypool)
    Honeydripper (Danny Glover, directed by former Schenectadian John Sayles)
    Cadillac Records (I didn’t care about Beyonce Knowles until I saw this. The story of Chess)
    Masked And Anonymous (Bob Dylan, John Goodman, Penelope Cruz, Jeff Bridges and Jessica Lange)
    Back Beat (a second on that)
    Yellow Submarine (It is a fiction about the Beatles)

17. P.S. Heartbreak Hotel

Caffe LenaHolly & EvanThe Cock'N'Bull RestaurantCartoonist John CaldwellJim Gaudet and the Railroad BoysAdvertise on Nippertown!Berkshire On StageAlbany PoetsThe LindaArtist Charles HaymesHudson SoundsLeave Regular Radio BehindThe Law Office of Paul Rapp