NAME: Emma Torncello
INSTRUMENT: Hammond organ, keyboard, guitar, violin, vocals
1. THE FIRST ALBUM I EVER BOUGHT WAS … Sgt. Pepper’s. I was in second grade when I first got the album, and I listened to it every night, all the way through. “A Day in the Life” is still one of my favorite songs ever.
2. THE FIRST CONCERT THAT I EVER SAW WAS … I had floor tickets at a Springsteen concert when I was in eighth grade. That was such a great show. Since then I’ve seen a lot of great musicians in concert, including Levon Helm, Eric Clapton, the Allman Brothers and Dr. John. And of course, I always love going out to support local bands!
3. THE FIRST MUSICAL INSTRUMENT I EVER OWNED OR PLAYED WAS … I got my first keyboard for Christmas when I was four years old. It was just this tiny little thing, but I thought it was the greatest present ever. The first song I ever learned to play on it was “Superstition” by Stevie Wonder. It’s funny to think that I’ve been listening to – and playing – the same kind of music my whole life. I guess I’ve just always been drawn to it.
4. THE FIRST SONG THAT I EVER PERFORMED IN PUBLIC WAS … “Border Song” by Elton John.
5. THE FIRST BAND I WAS EVER IN WAS … It wasn’t exactly a band, but I played in a duo with my friend in high school for a few years. Both of us played a bunch of different instruments, so we would always switch it up onstage. It was pretty cool.
You can catch Emma Torncello in concert at Dinosaur Bar-B-Que in Troy at 10pm on Saturday (May 25), where her band will feature guitarists Matt Hatfield and Tommy Murphy, bassist Tom Pirozzi, drummer Joe Rocco and keyboard veteran Tony Perrino. Admission is free.