NAME: Jude Moran
BAND AFFILIATION: Adela & Jude
INSTRUMENT: Drum set with feet, Guitar, Guitarro, Banjo, Mando, Tenor with hands. I strum instruments and drum with my feet; kick and snare are all the drums you need.
1. THE FIRST ALBUM THAT I EVER BOUGHT WAS … Oh God, my big sister had awesome taste in music, so most of what I got were her records, and I didn’t buy many. Then at 17 years old, I got a job in a record store, where I got fired for drinking too much Nyquil when I had a cold. I think it may have been Cream – Heavy Cream – the all white one. I was a hard rock drummer back then…
2. THE FIRST CONCERT THAT I EVER SAW WAS … Dr. John on Boston Common. He opened for the Doors, sans Morrison – so you can’t really say they were the Doors. Yeah, I’m old.
3. THE FIRST MUSICAL INSTRUMENT I EVER OWNED OR PLAYED WAS … a Sears Blue Sparkle Snare drum at nine years old, I took it right upstairs to my room and starting wailing on it right next to my open window… hello neighbors… I got a drum! I picked up guitars at about 14 years old – and started combining the two instruments immediately, although drums remained my primary instrument
4. THE FIRST SONG THAT I EVER PERFORMED IN PUBLIC WAS … Hmm… lost to the ages. At 13, I remember the gig well, I had just gotten this killer Slingerland drumset, and we played in the basement of a church. Had to be some ’70s rock song.
5. THE FIRST BAND I WAS EVER IN WAS … My friend got an old Randall amp, and a Epiphone guitar and we’d jam out old Deep Purple, or some bad hard-rock cover – in fact that could have been one of the first songs. It was all about the guitar player, you can’t play a girl a song on the drums…
Jude Moran teams up with Ana “Adela” Broding for a couple of local shows as the Boston-based Americana duo Adela & Jude this week, including American Glory in Hudson at 6pm on Wednesday (March 13) and at Rondout Music Lounge in Kingston on Thursday (March 14).