NAME: John Powhida
BAND AFFILIATION: John Powhida International Airport
INSTRUMENT: Singer, Guitar
1. THE FIRST ALBUM I EVER BOUGHT WAS … Elvis – 50,000,000 Elvis Fans Can’t Be Wrong
2. THE FIRST CONCERT THAT I EVER SAW WAS … My Grandma used to dress up my brother and I, and we would go to the Colonie Coliseum to see her fave performers… we loved it! My first concert was maybe Jerry Vale.
3. THE FIRST MUSICAL INSTRUMENT I EVER OWNED OR PLAYED WAS … My first instrument played was the violin in Public School #16, Albany, NY.
4. THE FIRST SONG THAT I EVER PERFORMED IN PUBLIC WAS … My grade school pal Jimmy Paul and I performed “Tomorrow” from “Annie” at school assemblies and even made my Grandma cry!
5. THE FIRST BAND I WAS EVER IN WAS … My first rock band formed freshman year in Albany High School was named by my father – Skinny Maggots – and featured Ross Rubenstein on drums, original drummer for legendary bands Capitle and Dirty Face!
A former Albany music scene stalwart now based in Boston, John Powhida leads the John Powhida International Airport – which also features Albany ex-pat Jim Haggerty on bass – into Valentine’s Music Hall in Albany on Saturday (March 2). The band will be sharing the stage with openers Secret Release (at 8:30pm) and headliners Dirty Face (at 10:30pm). Admission is $5.