NAME: Lucas Ventura
BAND AFFILIATION: RACES
INSTRUMENT: Drums, Tour Manager
1. THE FIRST ALBUM I EVER BOUGHT WAS … Pearl Jam’s “Ten.” I grew up in a small Arizona town called Willcox, and MTV was my only real outlet to music that wasn’t country or Top 40, and when grunge music really blew up, I was about 12 years old. I walked into a little record shop in Tucson, AZ with my dad and saw the cassette tape being displayed near the front. And that was the first album I ever picked out for myself.
2. THE FIRST CONCERT THAT I EVER SAW WAS … Haha, it was the Doobie Brothers and… Foreigner, I think. It was at some airport hangar on Fort Huachuca. Gary Hoey opened for them and totally shredded guitar.
3. THE FIRST MUSICAL INSTRUMENT I EVER OWNED OR PLAYED WAS … Actually, I started playing the clarinet in fifth grade. I was first chair most of the time, but I dunno, clarinet isn’t very “cool” to play, so I ended up giving it up, and got a drum set. Go figure…
4. THE FIRST SONG THAT I EVER PERFORMED IN PUBLIC WAS … The first real “gig” I ever had was with a Trinidad steel drum group when I was in my mid-teens. I didn’t know how to play reggae or calypso at all (I have no idea why they even hired me), and I was scared out of my wits, so I kept speeding up. The tenor pan player got frustrated with me, kicked me off drums. They turned on a drum machine while I sat by and watched the rest of the gig. It was pretty embarrassing. I’m pretty sure there were some Bob Marley songs in there.
5. THE FIRST BAND I WAS EVER IN WAS … I was 13 years old and started this punk band with my friends called Face Pollution. We never played a show, but we totally rocked out all the time at this shady house dubbed “The Pit.” The guys that lived there ended up killing someone and burying him in the desert, got caught and went to prison, so we didn’t get to keep playing there.
Lucas Ventura slides behind his drums to power up eclectic California indie rockers RACES in support of their new album, “Year of the Witch.” The band will make their Nippertown debut at Valentine’s Music Hall in Albany for a Hump Day Happy Hour show at 6pm on Wednesday (May 16). Admission is $5.
BUT WAIT… We’re giving away a pair of FREE TIX to see RACES at Valentine’s on Wednesday evening. Just go here to enter…