NAME: “Uncle Mike” Davies
BAND AFFILIATION: The LateShift
1. THE FIRST ALBUM I EVER BOUGHT WAS … “Baby One More Time” by Britney Spears. Laugh it up, but it’s the truth. You’d surely be lying if you could say you never jammed out to a little “Brit-Brit” back in the day! Times have changed though, as have my musical tastes, but your past is what shapes your future, and I would be cheating myself to say Britney Spears didn’t influence my love for music that thrives today. I can hear my band-mates now, “Dude you should have just lied!,” but I’ll just laugh it off. In my eyes, the truth is all that is real and to live in peace is to be transparent to what came before, or in this case, my childhood obsession with Britney Spears.
2. THE FIRST CONCERT I EVER SAW WAS … I believe it was Steve Winwood when I was three months old, but unfortunately I don’t remember much from those days. So really the first concert I saw and was fully conscious of being at was AC/DC in 2001. Rockin’ show!
3. THE FIRST INSTRUMENT I EVER OWNED OR PLAYED WAS … Technically, I had a plastic guitar since I was a young’un, but I never played it, despite my dad’s dissatisfaction. I started playing music in the fourth grade concert band as a trumpet player. I didn’t start playing the guitar until about seventh grade.
4. THE FIRST SONG I EVER PERFORMED IN PUBLIC WAS … The first song I performed live was Dylan’s tune “Knockin’ on Heaven’s Door.” I performed it with my father at Bob’s birthday party above the Ratskeller at Union College. A cherished memory I’ll never forget!
5. THE FIRST BAND I WAS EVER IN WAS … The first band I was ever in didn’t have a name. We didn’t play music, either. But we pretended to, and we were darn good at it. The group was made up of me and my neighbors, Dan and Devery. We rehearsed and performed all in the same spot (my garage), and our set list was comprised of songs off of MXPX’s “The Ever Passing Moment” and Blink-182’s “Dude Ranch.” We’d set up my father’s mic stands (with no microphones) and sing, head-bang, you name it for hours on end. If you ask, I might even show you some old promo shots we took. We were some bad-ass dudes!
Mike Davies and his bandmates in the LateShift will be kicking off the rock ‘n’ roll at the Albany Tulip Festival in Washington Park on Saturday (May 12). They’ll be taking over the Lakehouse Amphitheater Stage at 1pm. Admission is, of course, free.