NAME: Janet Robin
INSTRUMENT: Guitar, vocals, six-string banjo, songwriter
1. THE FIRST ALBUM I EVER BOUGHT WAS … The Knack, I think… Who didn’t love “My Sharona”???
2. THE FIRST CONCERT THAT I EVER SAW WAS … Well, to be honest, the first real concert was going to see my guitar teacher, Randy Rhoads play with his then-band Quiet Riot. I was 11 years old, and my parents took me to this crazy rock club in Hollywood called the Starwood. It was pretty popular back in the day… When I got a little older, the very first “big concert was Styx.
3. THE FIRST MUSICAL INSTRUMENT I EVER OWNED OR PLAYED WAS … Guitar, of course! It’s been my life partner ever since I was six years old.
4. THE FIRST SONG THAT I EVER PERFORMED IN PUBLIC WAS … I can’t remember the name, but I think it was called “Father,” and I wrote it with my cousin. We played it in a Mexican restaurant in LA when we were about 11 years old.
5. THE FIRST BAND I WAS EVER IN WAS … The first real band I was in was called Roxx, assembled of all guys from my elementary school. Our singer was the nephew of John Travolta, who subsequently provided my very first “professional” gig, as he paid our band $100 to play for him and his dad at his dad’s birthday party…
Singer-songwriter Janet Robin – former guitarist in the Lindsey Buckingham Band – makes a tour stop at Caffe Lena in Saratoga Springs at 7pm on Wednesday (May 9). Tix are $12 in advance; $14 at the door.