NAME: George Boone
BAND AFFILIATION: The George Boone Blues Band
1. THE FIRST ALBUM I EVER BOUGHT WAS … Oh boy, that’s a long time ago. I bought a lot of records then. I bought Beatles albums, Chuck Berry, all kinds of albums. I can’t tell you which one I bought first, but one I remember buying was “A Day in the Life” by Wes Montgomery. I always liked his playing.
2. THE FIRST CONCERT THAT I EVER SAW WAS … Oh man, it must have been James Brown over in Albany somewhere. Not the Palace, it was a club. Somewhere that’s closed now. They had a lot of places to see music back then that are closed now.
3. THE FIRST MUSICAL INSTRUMENT I EVER OWNED OR PLAYED WAS … Guitar. I always played guitar.
4. THE FIRST SONG THAT I EVER PERFORMED IN PUBLIC WAS … When I was 12 years old my father used to take me out to sit in with different groups. I remember playing “Boom Boom Boom” by John Lee Hooker on one of those nights.
5. THE FIRST BAND I WAS EVER IN WAS … Black Ice. They were a vocal group with five singers. I played guitar in that band. We played stuff from the Temptations and the Spinners. We did “It Only Takes a Minute” by Tavares.
Veteran guitarslinger George Boone will strap on his ax and step into the spotlight with his band at 6pm tonight (Friday, May 4) to play at the Pearl Street Pub in Albany. Their performance is part of the Downtown Albany Blues Competition, which is taking place at 13 different downtown nightspots from 6-9pm. Admission is free.