NAME: Charles Muench
BAND AFFILIATION: The Stray Birds
INSTRUMENT: Bass, vocals
1. THE FIRST ALBUM I EVER BOUGHT WAS … This is tough! I remember loving the song “I’m Gonna Be (500 Miles)” by the Proclaimers around the age of three or four. My parents (or Santa, I guess!) gave a copy of their “Sunshine on Leith” cassette tape to me for Christmas at that age. That is my earliest memory of owning an album.
2. THE FIRST CONCERT I EVER SAW WAS … I saw Steely Dan when I was about 12 years old. Donald Fagan walked off stage as the rest of the musicians finished the encore, and his tour bus pulled away before the song was even over. I always thought that was sooooo lame… but Steely Dan is cool.
3. THE FIRST MUSICAL INSTRUMENT THAT I EVER OWNED OR PLAYED WAS … The upright bass in both cases.
4. THE FIRST SONG I EVER PERFORMED IN PUBLIC WAS … I played a duet (two upright basses) with my father in sixth grade. Who knows what song it was…
5. THE FIRST BAND I WAS EVER IN WAS … A jam band outfit called Cicada Pot Pie.
Bassist Charles Muench and his bandmates in the Stray Birds – that would be Oliver Craven (guitar, mandolin, fiddle, vocals) and Maya de Vitry (banjo, guitar, fiddle, vocals) – open the show for Gathering Time at Caffe Lena in Saratoga Springs at 8pm on Saturday (February 25). Tix are $14 in advance; $16 at the door.