NAME: Josh Farrell
BAND AFFILIATION: HipDrop
1. THE FIRST ALBUM I EVER BOUGHT WAS … I believe I bought two… “Thriller” and LL Cool J’s “I Can’t Live Without My Radio” EP. Kung Fu Theatre and Yo MTV Raps every Saturday were staples in my early years.
2. THE FIRST CONCERT THAT I EVER SAW WAS … Bruce Springsteen “Born in the USA” tour in 1985 at the Carrier Dome in Syracuse. I played sax, so naturally I loved Clarence Clemons.
3. THE FIRST MUSICAL INSTRUMENT I EVER OWNED OR PLAYED WAS … Piano. I started playing when I was six years old. Piano was mandatory in my house. I hated it at the time, but I am very thankful in retrospect.
4. THE FIRST SONG THAT I EVER PERFORMED IN PUBLIC WAS … I honestly have no idea. I had a Christmas concert in middle school, though, where I had a solo song. I stepped up to sing a few lines, and then my mind went blank. So I put my head down and said, “Oh S#$T,” under my breath… not realizing I had just whispered directly into the mic for the entire audience – including my parents – to hear. As you can imagine, laughter ensued, and it was a very quiet car ride home.
5. THE FIRST BAND I WAS EVER IN WAS … When I first got to college, I joined a band called the Funky Lemons, which after school turned into Doctor Pocket. Guitar-heavy Zeppelin influenced, but with some Stevie Wonder vibes thrown in there. We were together for about eight years and played with a lot of great artists.
Singer Josh Farrell and his funky bandmates in HipDrop take the stage at Jillian’s in Albany at 9pm on Friday (February 3), opening for Sister Sparrow & the Dirty Birds.