NAME: Rex Fowler
BAND AFFILIATION: Aztec Two-Step, the Nutopians (an eight-piece John Lennon Tribute band)
INSTRUMENT: Acoustic guitar and harmonica
1. THE FIRST ALBUM I EVER BOUGHT WAS … “Crying” by Roy Orbison (made up big time for my first single: “Itsy Bitsy Teeny Weeny Yellow Polka Dot Bikini” by Brian Hyland!)
2. THE FIRST CONCERT THAT I EVER SAW WAS … The Beach Boys in Bangor, Maine
3. THE FIRST MUSICAL INSTRUMENT I EVER OWNED OR PLAYED WAS … an acoustic six-string Kay guitar that my sister’s college roommate had left behind the family “Love Seat” in our living room. I was starting my senior year in high school and had just discovered Bob Dylan. The stars had all aligned that summer.
4. THE FIRST SONG THAT I EVER PERFORMED IN PUBLIC WAS … “Happy Together” by the Turtles
5. THE FIRST BAND I WAS EVER IN WAS … Second Phlore, my college cover band at Aroostook State College in Presque Isle, Maine in 1967. We all lived on the second floor of our dorm.
In support of their new 40th anniversary album, “Cause & Effect,” Rex Fowler and his longtime musical partner Neal Schulman team up as Aztec Two-Step for a concert at the Eighth Step at Proctors in Schenectady at 7:30pm on Saturday (January 28). Tix are $26 in advance; $28 at the door.