NAME: Amy Collins
BAND AFFILIATION: Amy & the Whomevers
INSTRUMENT: Guitar, vocals, bandmates’ heads
1. THE FIRST ALBUM I EVER BOUGHT WAS … Oh god, I don’t want to admit this… It was Shaun Cassidy’s 1976 self-titled album. It came with a poster, and I am afraid to say I also bought the Da Doo Ron Ron T-shirt. (Can’t Nippertown edit this answer so that I look cooler?)
2. THE FIRST CONCERT THAT I EVER SAW WAS … It was John Hartford in Manhattan Square Park in Rochester. My mom is an amazing musician and folk music lover, and she made sure we got a healthy dose of folk and roots music when we were growing up.
3. THE FIRST MUSICAL INSTRUMENT I EVER OWNED OR PLAYED WAS … Played piano as a kid, but my first love and first instrument was a Sigma Guitar. Mom taught me to play when I was nine years old by letting me pick songs I liked and teaching me the chords. After a few years of borrowing her guitar, she must have gotten sick of it and gave me one for my 11th Christmas.
4. THE FIRST SONG THAT I EVER PERFORMED IN PUBLIC WAS … “I Sing the Body Electric” from “Fame.” Eighth grade. (The teachers wouldn’t let me sing “Angel of the Morning” by Juice Newton – the puritans…)
5. THE FIRST BAND I WAS EVER IN WAS … I have been performing professionally for over 20 years, but I JUST joined my first band. After all of those years playing solo, I am having a blast playing with Amy and the Whomevers. Michael Messitt, John Cromie and Bill Flynn are making music fun in a way I had no idea was possible.
Amy Collins and her band the Whomevers kick off 2012 at the Moon & River Cafe in Schenectady at 8pm on Thursday (January 12). Then at 7pm on Friday (January 13), they take over the Irish Mist in Troy.