NAME: Katie Hammon
BAND AFFILIATION: Bear Grass / Slender Shoulders
INSTRUMENT: VOX, Guitar, Toy Glockenspiel, small piano riffs
1. THE FIRST ALBUM I EVER BOUGHT WAS … mmmmm…I don’t really know. I wish I could say different, but I really don’t remember buying my first CD. It’s possible that it was the soundtrack to “A Walk To Remember” or some CD by Creed. Maybe Evan and Jaron? Hmmm… now I want to know. I’m sure it was something terrible. Maybe even the Backstreet Boys.
2. THE FIRST CONCERT THAT I EVER SAW WAS … My sister knew the tour manager for Plus One, a Christian rock band that was big in Washington State. I don’t know if they made it anywhere else, but I’m assuming so since it was at some arena in the middle of nowhere. My best friend and I tagged along with my sister and some friends and screemed our lungs out like the little girls that we were.
3. THE FIRST MUSICAL INSTRUMENT I EVER OWNED OR PLAYED WAS … When I was a kid my mom had a ton of instruments hanging around. She was/is a music teacher and picked up some instruments along the way that my brother and I always seemed to find. My favorite instrument to play was the trombone that sat in the corner of our living room. My brother and I would take turns “playing” it until we felt as though we would pass out from trying so hard to sound an actual note.
4. THE FIRST SONG THAT I EVER PERFORMED IN PUBLIC WAS … I was always singing for little things since I was very young. I was in the elementary school talent shows, plays and choirs, and performed for community concerts all throughout my youth. One particularly memorable performance was the fifth grade Christmas play/musical where I acted as a job placement representative lady looking to place Santa and Mrs. Claus in jobs during the off-season. I also sang and danced as an elf and as a snowflake throughout the show. I had a couple solo singing parts in the play, as well as duets with Santa and Mrs. Claus. Those were the days!
5. THE FIRST BAND I WAS EVER IN WAS … I’m pretty sure it was my youth group worship team in high school. I don’t know if you would count that as a band, but we got together once a week to practice and lead youth group music. Otherwise, it would be Slender Shoulders.
Katie Hammon will be performing as Bear Grass at the Moon and River Cafe in Schenectady on Friday (December 16). The evening begins at 8pm, and she’ll be sharing the stage with Deborah T, Rick Sacchetti and Dan Johnson. Admission is free; donations for the artists are gratefully accepted.