NAME: Dana Monteith
BAND AFFILIATION: Ominous Seapods
1. THE FIRST ALBUM I EVER BOUGHT WAS … I was given a bunch of vinyl in 1981 when I was 11 years old. The ones I remember and still have are “All Things Must Pass,” “Tommy,” “Exile on Main Street” and “Woodstock: Music From the Original Soundtrack.” My grandfather had some Steve Miller Band on 8 track.
2. THE FIRST CONCERT THAT I EVER SAW WAS … 1982, The Who’s “Schlitz Rocks America” tour, show 39 out of 40, Carrier Dome, Syracuse, NY. I was 12 years old, and I still have the program I bought.
3. THE FIRST MUSICAL INSTRUMENT I EVER OWNED OR PLAYED WAS … Trombone
4. THE FIRST SONG THAT I EVER PERFORMED IN PUBLIC WAS … Some half-baked version of “My Generation” at a party in a barn. I think we had about two or three warm Budweisers between about 15 people.
5. THE FIRST BAND I WAS EVER IN WAS … The End. It was mod for upstate NY. We played “Rainy Day Women #12 and #35” for the High School Battle of the Bands.
Dana Monteith is about to leave the comforts and joys of Nippertown for the wilds of Australia. But before he relocates to the Great Down Under, he’ll be strapping on his guitar one last time for a farewell reunion of the Ominous Seapods at Valentine’s Music Hall in Albany. The festivities get underway at 9pm on Saturday (December 17), and your $20 ticket also includes Maaze, who will be playing downstairs.