The Return of Revolution Hall?

Revolution Hall

OK, maybe not a full-fledged return, but it seems as Revolution Hall in Troy is dipping its toes back into the live music scene with a couple of upcoming holiday themed rock ‘n’ roll shows:

Featuring the Lustre Kings, Fritz’s Polka Band, Flood Road
Saturday, October 15, 4pm
$5 (benefit for the Rensselaer Land Trust)

Pandemonium on River Street
featuring Sirsy and the Erin Harkes Band
Saturday, October 29, 9pm
$7 in advance; $10 at the door

Capital Underground Christmas Festivus
featuring Super 400, Black Inc., the City Never Sleeps, more
Friday, December 23, 7pm

Could this be the start (or rather “re-start”) of something big?

Tags: ,

13 Responses to “The Return of Revolution Hall?”

1. eD says:

2. OswegoMatt says:

I miss Rev. Hall very much. There is not a better club in the Capital District. Putnam Den does have a good vibe though.

3. Fred says:

Rev Hall re-opening? I’ll believe it when I hear the music….

4. J Hunter says:

I’m with Fred. They seem to prefer keeping it as a banquet hall. Whatever…

5. Tom says:

Rev Hall should be the go to spot for touring bands and local bands alike. Awesome room, good acoustics, great vibe, terrible management. From personal experience, unrealistic expectations were placed on local bands to earn there way into the place: “Bring 100 people to Rev Hall on a Tuesday night and the show is yours”. Not going to happen. There was also a narrow focus on music genres. More frequent, less expensive, more varied shows would do Rev Hall better than planning these huge great shows that end up getting cancelled. Better yet, have live music every night without a cover charge and start breeding a built in crowd that will shell out a little money for a bigger act. A small out of pocket expense to hire a decent local band will pay off when people are willing to come in to drink and check out a band without investing in a cover charge. Start with thursday through saturday nights and build a loyal customer base. Theres no reason that should be the only place on the block that isn’t busy on any given night. That atmosphere is exactly what the capital region music scene has been missing for a decade: a nice clean venue that you would want to hang out in regardless who is playing, that just so happens to book good local and regional ORIGINAL bands. The big names will follow soon after.

6. hojohifive says:

Tom, you should open your own venue. Or write how-to book. You have all the answers.

7. Rod Wilson says:

I’m currently looking for a location to open a great live music venue in Upstate NY and Troy is high on the short list. I’m scouting locations that offer space for ~1000 patrons. I’ve read a few blogs, read a number of comments and had some conversations with folks in support of a live music venue in the city.

Without bashing any previous venues or management, I’m very interested to hear what people would like to see. Bands, genres, events, thoughts on ticket prices…

Please email me with any thoughts or suggestions @ or find me on Twitter @FonzieJones.

Thank you.

8. Tom says:

These aren’t new ideas hojo, they have worked for plenty of places around here and everywhere else in the past. As someone that has patronized, performed, or worked in most places in this area, that is what I am looking for in a venue, and have heard many other locals express the same interest. You may prefer a high cover charge, over priced drinks, and middle aged cover band playing mustang sally for the 100th night in a row, but I think there are enough people around here ready for something different.

9. martyn says:

Some times big is too big. It’s the same in restaurants, it’s easier to run a profitable 50 seater than a profitable 200 seater. No one likes to go to a huge club with 25 people in it. Small clubs can do the smaller business better, but to run a large club full time is a challenge, staffing security etc. Even in it’s hay day, QE2 only ran bands during the week, and went to the more profitable dance nights on weekends. Bogies would run the “edgy” bands on wed/thurs then put the sure thing hippie dead-head bands on weekends. These places need to do what they need to do to put bodies in the door.

10. Mike H says:

I know HoJo doesn’t like those things you listed Tom – especially the cover bands doing Mustang Sally – now if they’re doing some Green on Red then ya never know (love ya Howie!)

11. Rod Wilson says:

I’m kind of leaning in the direction of Tom. I’m familiar with the clubs mentioned and the approaches. Martin, I certainly respect and agree with your view on club size but I’m prepared to take on the task of a larger venue. I know the guy running whatever the QE2 is being called now. FuzeBox? I’m not interested in owning or running a bar. I want a straight up music venue that while you’re there, it’s all about the show. I don’t even intend to open the doors on nights there aren’t shows. There appear to be several great smaller size venues in the area. I want to close the gap between the smaller venues and the larger ones. There are a ton of acts that are to big for the small venues and too small for the big venues. Between 800 and 1000 capacity makes bringing in a greater variety of bands viable. I intend to bring in a variety of performers in a variety of genres and if I don’t feel an act will draw a capacity or near capacity crowd, I won’t bring them in. The idea is to bring people into the city for dinner & few drinks before the show, give them a heck of a show them send them back out to the great drinking and eating establishments that the city has to offer.

There are 7 local colleges to draw from for up and coming bands. I’m a big blues fan and Dinosaur BBQ is right around the corner. Country music is more popular than ever. DJs like Skrillex and Pretty Lights are selling out across the country and the list of nostalgia acts is lengthy. I’m planning to bring in national and regional bands as well as offering the opportunity for locals to showcase their talents. My plan is to put the right type of act in front of the right crowd at the right ticket price. I think with the right combinations can bring in near capacity crowds 3 to 4 nights a week. There are more than 1 million people in the Cap Dist area, I think we can find plenty of live music that a few thousand a week can dig.

12. Jam Head says:

While I admire your drive..

I would advise you ‘look before you leap’. In particular, reach out to some of the guys that have been thru this learning curve already. People like Greg B, Howie, Millis, Ralph.

My guess is that your leaning on that brainpower, early on, could save you some mis steps.

Having briefly been in the business myself (and an underling) I can relate that there are w lot of land mins out there! Please don’t fall into one. We need ya, brother!

13. Rod Wilson says:

Thanks Jam. That’s exactly why I’m reaching out to folks. I’ve had some great discussions with people just getting in to people that have been in the biz for decades and I’m always open to other perspectives. Especially from the Capital Region market. I’m outside of Utica right now but I was born in Troy and grew up in Clifton Park. I’m REALLY looking forward coming back home.

I’ve been around the scene for awhile and love the live show. From a business perspective, all the numbers add up but there’s that “it” factor that makes a venue either thrive or die. I want to know to get to A and avoid B. My motivation, first and foremost is all about the music and the vibe.

I’ve got a solid business plan that I’ve shared with advisers that manage clubs in Chicago to local Economic Development officials and the feedback has been positive. Feedback from potential concert goers has been outstanding.

Much thanks for the input. If you see a land mine, shout it out! Have a good one.

Caffe LenaThe Cock'N'Bull RestaurantJim Gaudet and the Railroad BoysHolly & EvanCartoonist John CaldwellAdvertise on Nippertown!Berkshire On StageArtist Charles HaymesLeave Regular Radio BehindAlbany PoetsHudson SoundsThe LindaMohawk Hudson Humane Society