NAME: Bridget Kearney
BAND AFFILIATION: Joy Kills Sorrow
INSTRUMENT: Acoustic Bass
1. THE FIRST ALBUM I EVER BOUGHT WAS … The first album I ever bought for myself with my own money was Soul Asylum, “Grave Dancers Union” in 1992 when I was seven years old. I loved the song “Runaway Train.” I recently heard it at a Walgreen’s, and I almost cried.
2. THE FIRST CONCERT THAT I EVER SAW WAS … Raffi when I was really little! I was super into Raffi. I used to listen to him when I took naps. Sometimes I still do. The first rock concert I ever went to was the Goo Goo Dolls. Their guitarist, Johnny Rzeznik, threw a couple of guitar picks off stage during the concert, and I didn’t catch any. But then later in the evening I found one on the floor that I assumed must have been a stray that no one had caught, and I kept it in a frame for a long time.
3. THE FIRST MUSICAL INSTRUMENT I EVER OWNED OR PLAYED WAS … Upright piano at my parent’s house.
4. THE FIRST SONG THAT I EVER PERFORMED IN PUBLIC WAS … Hmmm… probably something from the church choir. My church in Iowa City, IA had five choirs, from Senior Choir down to Cherub Choir, which was for kids in kindergarten-third grade.
5. THE FIRST BAND I WAS EVER IN WAS … Metro Pilot was my first band with a name. We were a sort of garage rock trio that I started playing with in junior high – electric bass, electric guitar and drums. I learned from them how much fun it was to be in a band, and I also got some of my worst songwriting out of the way while I was still young and able to contain any record of it. Sorry to Metro Pilot for all the bad songs of mine that you had to play!
Bassist Bridget Kearney and her bandmates in the roots-chamber ensemble Joy Kills Sorrow will take the stage at Caffe Lena in Saratoga Springs at 7pm on Sunday (September 25), in support of their new album, “This Unknown Science.” Opening the show will be Rosary Beard, the acoustic guitar duo of Matthew Carefully and Alta Mira’s Hunter Sagehorn. Tix are $15 in advance; $17 at the door.