NAME: Eric Halder
BAND AFFILIATION: Charmboy; Tom McWatters & the Philo Beddoe Band; Guiltless Cult
INSTRUMENT: Guitar & Vocals
1. THE FIRST ALBUM I EVER BOUGHT WAS … I was lucky to have grown up with an older brother that was into ’70s hard rock and had a nice record collection. This gave me very early exposure to the likes of AC/DC, Foghat, Alice Cooper, KISS, etc… The first album I ever bought with my own hard-saved cash though, was “2112” by Rush on vinyl. I had no idea what I was getting into there but had probably heard my brother mention that title at some point. In retrospect, I think the programmatic concept approach was a good one for getting my young ears deeply immersed in the music. I’m not the biggest Rush fan on the block these days, but I’ve still got a soft spot for that one and “Moving Pictures,” which was actually my second purchase!
2. THE FIRST CONCERT THAT I EVER SAW WAS … Judas Priest on the Defenders of the Faith tour in 1984 at the Glens Falls Civic Center. I was still in grade school, but my mom let me tag along with the older brother for this one. This show changed everything and cemented my status as a young metal-head which continued on through my high school years. An unknown (at the time) band called Great White opened the show with a sub par set.
3. THE FIRST MUSICAL INSTRUMENT I EVER OWNED OR PLAYED WAS … Trumpet. I started in fourth grade over in North Adams and immediately fell in love with performing music! Later, when I realized I was never going to become a trumpet-playing rock star, I begged for (and received) an electric guitar for my 14th birthday. The nice folks at Hermie’s in Schenectady were kind enough to take my trumpet as an even trade for a small practice amp.
4. THE FIRST SONG THAT I EVER PERFORMED IN PUBLIC WAS … It’s tough to remember exactly, but I do remember that the fourth grade school band mentioned above did a smashing rendition of ‘The Star Wars Theme.” As a young “Star Wars” junkie growing up in the ’70s and early ’80s, I couldn’t have been more excited; particularly since the trumpet carried the main theme!
5. THE FIRST BAND I WAS EVER IN WAS … Back in high school at Shenendehowa, I always had something incomplete going on. A drummer buddy, Mike Komp, and I would get together regularly and trudge our way through our favorite metal covers by the likes of Anthrax, Megadeth and (gasp) Dokken. We usually had a third person in on the action, but always seemed to be down either a bass player or singer. The conversations about how great we’d be if we could just find that fourth member were actually more epic than that band ever would’ve been!
Eric Halder and his bandmates in Charmboy are one of the featured bands at the Local 518 Rock N Relief Benefit Concert for Hurricane Victims at Valentine’s Music Hall in Albany at 8pm on Friday (September 9). Halder will also be playing with Tom McWatters & the Philo Beddoe Band at the Dinosaur Bar-B-Q in Troy at 10pm on Saturday, September 17.
RELATED STORY: Charmboy’s “Let It Feed” CD review