NAME: Dean Sharp….(d#)
BAND AFFILIATION: Many and varied….I have a bunch of projects close to my heart: PINKtank w/ ‘tronic chef David Torn and trumpeter Russ Johnson; WORD WAS w/ bassist Mario Pavone and Russ; Bob Gluck’s trios; a few VERY cool projects w/ Chris Kelsey…HAPPY HOUSE (playing the music of ornette coleman) and I HO the BOXER (playing music inspired by miles davis during the post-quintet ‘early’ electric years)….not to mention a beautiful trio w/ pianist Pete Drungel and multi-instrumentalist Daniel Carter
INSTRUMENT: drums, I guess….although I’m VERY taken w/ what playing guitar has enabled in my composing and producing
1. THE FIRST ALBUM I EVER BOUGHT WAS … the ART ENSEMBLE of CHICAGO’s “A Jackson in Your House.” My brother is seven years older, and my dad was a jazz freak, so music was plentiful in our house…at least until our tastes became too disparate!
2. THE FIRST CONCERT THAT I EVER SAW WAS … the original WOODSTOCK fest (1969). My brother stole me outta camp to go! It proved a rather ‘interesting’ discussion when our parents wondered why I wasn’t at roll call for 2 days!!!!
3. THE FIRST MUSICAL INSTRUMENT I EVER OWNED OR PLAYED WAS … Gretsch ‘progressive jazz’ drum set, 1961!!!! I don’t know WHY I ever sold that set! My dad got them from Elvin Jones, as a favor (they played in a big band together). They were a birthday present when I was seven.
4. THE FIRST SONG THAT I EVER PERFORMED IN PUBLIC WAS … “Take Five”…never a dull moment! While all my buds were playing MONKEES tunes and learning the BEATLES ‘Revolver’ record, I took it upon myself to play in 5/4. I think I thought it would be easier to do something different than everyone else (in fifth grade!!!!)
5. THE FIRST BAND I WAS EVER IN WAS … PJ Orchestra….started in the 8th grade, playing everything from Frank Zappa to the Grateful Dead to Miles Davis and the Art Ensemble of Chicago!!! We tried playing some school dances, and we were a big hit with the hippie sort. Eventually, we became house-party regulars ’cause we weren’t ‘dancy’ enough.