NAME: Michael Kelley
BAND AFFILIATION: Circle of Willis, Blotto, the Lustre Kings, John Kribs, Ernie Williams, Mark Emanatian and anyone else who will have me
1. THE FIRST ALBUM I EVER BOUGHT WAS … I believe it was “Surfin’ U.S.A.” by the Beach Boys.
2. THE FIRST CONCERT I EVER SAW WAS … The first concert I went to was Steppenwolf at the Aerodrome in Schenectady. I remember my friend’s father dropped us off because we were still too young to drive. Looking back, I guess I should be happy to have survived it. Rough Crowd.
3. THE FIRST MUSICAL INSTRUMENT I EVER PLAYED OR OWNED WAS … My first musical instrument was the piano in our house. I had mentioned to my parents when I was about seven years old that I would like to play the piano, and within a week or so, we had a brand new Wurlitzer Spinet in the living room. My mother was very happy.
4. THE FIRST SONG I EVER PERFORMED IN PUBLIC WAS … I can’t really be sure about this one. It may have been a song performed at a sixth grade talent show. I believe the name of the song was “Horace.” One of my own.
5. THE FIRST BAND I WAS EVER IN WAS … We would change our name every other week, so I really can’t settle on just one. I can say that I was the drummer/singer and my cousin Tom D’Ambrose played this little Vox style organ. We were pretty good. You may remember Tom as the sax player for the Sharks, a group with which we both enjoyed a fair amount of success.
Keyboardist-vocalist Michael Kelley will do double duty on Sunday evening at the Central Park Music Haven in Schenectady, playing with both Blotto and a reunion of the Sharks, as part of the Blotto Records Reunion Concert. The concert starts at 7pm and also features performances by the Penny Knight Band, the Amazing Rob & John Band and Johnny Rabb. Admission is free.