NAME: Dave Maswick
BAND AFFILIATION: Stony Creek Band
INSTRUMENT: Multi-instrumentalist / Writer / Singer / Producer
1. THE FIRST ALBUM I EVER BOUGHT WAS … the Beatles’ “Sgt. Pepper.” Although I had heard most of the albums of the “British Invasion” groups at the homes of my friends, my parents wouldn’t allow me to purchase records of my own. After years of carping, they finally relented. After mowing a lawn to raise the cash, my friend and I headed off to the store (in his mom’s car) to make the buy. We made it two blocks from my house and had an accident. Needless to say, I didn’t get the record that day but a few days later my musical life changed forever.
2. THE FIRST CONCERT THAT I EVER SAW WAS … Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass (with my family) at SPAC. It must have been ’67.
3. THE FIRST MUSICAL INSTRUMENT I EVER OWNED OR PLAYED WAS … Trumpet. I was in fourth grade.
4. THE FIRST SONG THAT I EVER PERFORMED IN PUBLIC WAS … Dunno, but I’m going to guess it was either “Gloria” or “Louie, Louie.”
5. THE FIRST BAND I WAS EVER IN WAS … I can’t remember the name of my first band, but my first “psychedelic” band was named Pneumatic Custard. I think I was 14. We actually played some paying gigs, which, on reflection, may have been my first step down that long musical road to minimum wage.
Dave Maswick and the rest of the Adirondacks’ veteran Stony Creek Band step into the spotlight at Stony Creek Town Park at 7pm on Tuesday. They’ll also perform at the Outdoor Entertainment Center in South Glens Falls at 6:30pm on Tuesday, July 19. Admission to both shows is free.