NAME: Kevin McKrell
BAND: Melick, Moody & McKrell
1. THE FIRST ALBUM I EVER BOUGHT WAS … The first album I ever purchased was by Herman’s Hermits. Uncool as it may seem, it had great tunes: “I’m Into Something Good,” “Sea Cruise,” “Mrs. Brown.” The first album I ever owned was a present from my parents, also a very cool recording, The Kingston Trio’s “Live at the Hungry I.”
2. THE FIRST CONCERT THAT I EVER SAW WAS … Not really sure about this. The Allman Brothers at SPAC or the Star Spangled Washboard Band at Columbia High School in East Greenbush. Which came first, the chicken or the egg?
3. THE FIRST MUSICAL INSTRUMENT I EVER OWNED OR PLAYED WAS … The first guitar I ever played was Jeff Strange’s Guild Madiera. The first I ever owned was a Guild D-40 C, which thankfully I still own and play.
4. THE FIRST SONG THAT I EVER PERFORMED IN PUBLIC WAS … I believe it was the Meredith Wilson tune “Till There Was You” with Jeff Strange.
5. THE FIRST BAND I WAS EVER IN WAS … Donnybrook Fair
Kevin McKrell plays a solo gig at Ravenswood in Clifton Park at 8pm on Friday. Then at 8pm on Saturday, he teams up with percussionist Brian Melick and fiddler Doug Moody to perform at Bob Dylan’s 70th Birthday Celebration at Skidmore College’s Dance Theater in Saratoga Springs. A benefit for Caffe Lena, the tribute concert also features performances by Annie & Jon Rosen, Streetcorner Holler, Kyle Miller, Dyer Switch Band, Jo Henley, Tern Rounders, Jim Gaudet & the Railroad Boys and others. Tix are $25.