NAME: Albert Cummings
BAND AFFILIATION: Albert Cummings
1. THE FIRST ALBUM I EVER BOUGHT WAS … Hank Williams Jr.’s “Man of Steel.” I used to love Hank. I also listened to the Stray Cats, as well as Stevie Ray Vaughan when “Texas Flood” came out.
2. THE FIRST CONCERT THAT I EVER SAW WAS … Waylon Jennings. My dad took my friend and I. I think it was at the Palace. I used to go to a lot of bluegrass festivals as well, but that really isn’t a concert. My best concert was seeing Stevie Ray at the Orpheum Theater in Boston. That was the night I decided to play guitar!
3. THE FIRST MUSICAL INSTRUMENT I EVER OWNED OR PLAYED WAS … Trumpet. I used to be in the band all thru school. We used to have those suits for the marching band that looked and smelled like 1960.
4. THE FIRST SONG THAT I EVER PERFORMED IN PUBLIC WAS … “Foggy Mountain Breakdown” on my five-string banjo. It was a talent show for the Lions Club. I won the show and got to be on TV in Boston on Channel 5. Very cool for a 12-year-old.
5. THE FIRST BAND I WAS EVER IN WAS … The Swamp Yankees. This was my first group. It is a term used down south that apparently means “white trash.” It wasn’t long after that I learned how fast musicians come and go, so I changed the name to just Albert Cummings.
Williamstown’s own blues guitar hero Albert Cummings – the man and his band – fire up a night of some serious blues-rockin’ at MASS MoCA’s Hunter Center in North Adams at 8pm on Friday. Tix are $15 in advance; $18 at the door; $10 for students.