NAME: Brian Patrik
BAND AFFILIATION: The Hearing Aides
INSTRUMENT: Vocals and guitar
1. THE FIRST ALBUM I EVER BOUGHT WAS … Third Eye Blind’s self-titled album. I loved that thing as a kid. I reviewed them at Tulip Fest a few years ago, and got super excited when they played “Semi-Charmed Life.”
2. THE FIRST CONCERT THAT I EVER SAW WAS … An autism benefit featuring Sonic Youth, J Mascis and Sebadoh at Smith College in Northampton, Mass., in the spring of 2004. It was during my freshman year of college. Growing up in Okinawa, Japan did not provide many opportunities for me to see concerts while in high school. I’m totally making up for that now with my current occupation.
3. THE FIRST MUSICAL INSTRUMENT I EVER OWNED OR PLAYED WAS … my Yamaha acoustic guitar. I got it for my 14th birthday in 1999 from my dad. The thing has been through hell; in college I painted it black with acrylic paint, and it’s been thrown across rooms and slammed into walls. It’s still my main acoustic guitar – I write pretty much all of my songs on it.
4. THE FIRST SONG THAT I EVER PERFORMED IN PUBLIC WAS … In my first band, described below. Our lead singer wanted to cover the Cure’s “Lullaby” and he had given me guitar tabs for it. I called him up in hysterics one night, and played him an ultra-distorted, power chord version of the song over the phone. Unfortunately, he loved it. We ended up playing it at my high school’s talent show. It was terrible.
5. THE FIRST BAND I WAS EVER IN WAS… A Smashing Pumpkins/Cure-inspired grungy goth rock band called Hollow, at age 14. I was still learning how to play guitar – I played power chords incorrectly for my first month in the group. But I got much better, much faster, thanks to playing with other people and working on original songs.
Guitarist-bandleader Brian Patrik leads the Hearing Aides into the Moon and River Cafe in Schenectady at 8pm tonight. Admission is free. Then on Wednesday, the Hearing Aides invade Dublin’s in Troy at 8pm, sharing the stage with Potters Field and Hester. Admission is $5.