NAME: Ritch Harrigan
BAND AFFILIATION: Gordon St
1. THE FIRST ALBUM I EVER BOUGHT WAS … “Magical Mystery Tour” by the Beatles on CD. I know it’s not technically a Beatles “album,” but it’s a great collection of their singles from the Sgt. Pepper era. “Strawberry Fields Forever” still gives me chills.
2. THE FIRST CONCERT THAT I EVER SAW WAS … November 2, 1996 – The Smashing Pumpkins with Garbage on the Infinite Sadness tour. 1996 in a lot of ways was the last year when rock was an important part of the mainstream, and there was no bigger group in the country than the Pumpkins. Amazing show. I think that might have been the last rock concert at the Knick before the naming rights were bought up by Pepsi.
3. THE FIRST MUSICAL INSTRUMENT I EVER OWNED OR PLAYED WAS … An alto saxophone, which I later traded in for a Gibson SG.
4. THE FIRST SONG THAT I EVER PERFORMED IN PUBLIC WAS … “Unglued” from Stone Temple Pilots. It wasn’t bad!
5. THE FIRST BAND I WAS EVER IN WAS … We were called Biff Steel, and Gordon St’s lead singer and bass player, Dan Noonan, was also a member. We’ve been playing together on and off since high school.
Guitarist Ritch Harrigan and his Gordon St bandmates – vocalist-bassist Dan Noonan and drummer Dennis Fatato – hit the stage at Valentine’s Music Hall in Albany at 8pm on Tuesday, sharing the bill with the Gypsy Scholars. It’s an 18+ show, and admission is $5.