NAME: Mark Gamsjager
BAND AFFILIATION: The Lustre Kings
INSTRUMENT: Guitar, vocals
1. THE FIRST ALBUM I EVER BOUGHT WAS … Chuck Berry’s “The Great Twenty-Eight,” double album
2. THE FIRST CONCERT THAT I EVER SAW WAS … A rock & roll fest at Islip Speedway with my sister GG (she took me). Screaming Jay Hawkins rolled out in a coffin. Chuck Berry was on the bill, along with the Shirelles. And others. I still have the ticket stub.
3. THE FIRST MUSICAL INSTRUMENT I EVER OWNED OR PLAYED WAS … A Yamaha guitar FG 20. I sold it to Kirk Kelly, a folksinger in NYC. (He is still using it). I sold it to when my father bought me a Martin D18.
4. THE FIRST SONG THAT I EVER PERFORMED IN PUBLIC WAS … It was a Bob Dylan tune called “Motorpsycho Nightmare.” At a coffee house in St. James (on Long Island, where I grew up) called Norway Hall. I was so nervious my top lip was quivering.
5. THE FIRST BAND I WAS EVER IN WAS … The Bluegrass Connection. It was a band I formed in high school with students and teachers. It started out as a after-school club, and before we knew it, we were playing out. Some festivals, clubs, square dances… It was a lot of fun.
Just back from a tour through the midwest, Mark Gamsjager and the Lustre Kings will be shaking up the newly opened Dinosaur Bar-B-Que in Troy at 10pm on Thursday.