Joan Baez, What Was the First Album You Ever Bought?

Joan Baez (photo by  Dana Tynan)

(photo by Dana Tynan)

“Let me think.

“The first record that I had beyond nursery rhymes was probably by the Sons of the Pioneers, and the first 45 that I bought was Frankie Laine singing ‘The Wild Goose.’

“But I think the first record album that I ever bought, in fact, was by Johnny Ace. My mother looked at the cover and said, ‘Oh, he’s a drug addict.’ And I – not knowing what a drug addict was – said, ‘He is not,’ automatically because I knew that whatever it was, it was a condemnation. I knew it was a bad thing, and I was 13 years old, and I just didn’t want to hear it.”

Veteran folksinger, author and human rights activist Joan Baez steps into the spotlight at the Troy Savings Bank Music Hall in Troy at 8pm on Tuesday. The concert is sold out.

Tags: , ,

10 Responses to “Joan Baez, What Was the First Album You Ever Bought?”

1. Pat (Patricia) Shechter says:

The first Joan Baez album I purchased was Joan Baez in Concert, released in September 1962. I still have that album in my vinyl collection!!

2. peter ambler says:

joan is my idle a true women i first heard sing streets of london . then i follwer her till today love her prottest songs got most ,one of my favorites angelio .johny i hardly knew you .cohens song suzzane . cover version brothers in arms .diamonds and rust part 2 they are countless i am a prottester .now we fight incinerators .they cause child deaths cancers heart lung problems .wish joan would help our fights in uk /facebook spondon against cyclamax incinerator….alvaston derby against the deadly incinerator .and many more .pete

3. Nancy says:

A strange little kid was I. I talked my Mom into buying me “The Grand Canyon Suite” by Grofe when I was 11. It was on sale at a 2nd hand store we went to for only $2. I still have it. My first 45 was Patty Duke’s, please don’t just stand there when I was 13. Still have both. My first Joan Baez album was “From Every Stage.” I still love it!

4. Bill Gibson says:

Can’t remember the name of the album, but it was the one that had “Kitty” and “Lowlands” on, it wasn’t an official release from Joannie’s record label but a cheapo taken from a session she’d down before she released solo stuff. It’s in the loft somewhere.

5. Alexander says:

I bought me the first album of Joan Baez in 1973 when I was a student in a Russian university. It was a selection of her songs ever sold in Russia. With Battle Hymn, Trees they grow high, Hush little baby, Black veil, Once I knew a pretty girl, We shall overcome, etc. I still keep it on the shelf at home. With a group of friens we used to sing those songs nearly every night when we met for about two years.
    My greatest wish since then was to listen to her singing live.

6. LucasEdd says:

I don’t know the name of the first Joan Baez album I ever bought. I just know that I own everyone she ever recorded. And I have some on reel to reel tape, if anyone still knows what that is. And I have them on cassette as well. And I have them on disc, too. And I listen to them regularly.

7. Jane says:

The first album I ever bought with my own money was AC/DC-Back in Black when I was 12 or 13. Needless to say, I’ve mellowed since then. I first started listening to Joan when I was expecting my second child, and her greatest hits was my labor music. I just love her calm theraputic voice!!!! I find her voice can heal me in so many ways.

8. Gernot says:

Joan Baez hat mich mit ihrer ersten Schallplatte “Joan Baez I ” von 1960 begeistert und ich habe mir diese Vinyl Schallplatte cirka 1961 gekauft und habe sie immer noch. Die Schallplatte erschien in Deutschland auf dem Label “Amadeo” AVRS 9113.
    Desde Alemania saludos para Joan Baez y lo ultimo que me he comprado de ella es su DVD con CD “How sweet the sound”.

9. Mark says:

First Joan Baez album I bought was DIMAONDS & RUST when it came out in ’75, I was a teenager at the time, and thought “D&R” was one of the coolest songs ever (still do!). I later bought one of her ’70s compilations (BEST OF JOAN C. BAEZ); Then in the early ’80s, when I was in college, bought her BALLAD BOOK on cassette, which was essentially a compilation of her early ’60s pure folk work. Some breathtaking stuff! There was very little to choose from then, as most of her original catalogue had gone out of print, and wouldn’t be reissued until after the invention of the CD in the later ’80s. But I remember listening to those songs on BALLAD BOOK, being particularly blown away by ‘Fare Thee Well”, “All My Trials” and the mournful “Wagoner’s Lad”. I turned a lot of my dorm-mates into JB and folk music in general.

10. Saskia Cornell says:

I love Joan Baez – please come to Australia

Cartoonist John CaldwellThe Cock'N'Bull RestaurantHolly & EvanCaffe LenaJim Gaudet and the Railroad BoysAdvertise on Nippertown!Artist Charles HaymesAlbany PoetsHudson SoundsLeave Regular Radio BehindBerkshire On StageThe LindaDark Wood Design