Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Nominees Announced

Darlene Love
Laura Nyro
Donna Summer
Joe Tex
Tom Waits
Chuck Willis

To be eligible for nomination, the artist must have released his/her first single or album at least 25 years prior to the year of nomination – meaning 1985 for the current crop of 2011 nominees.

More than 500 ballots will be sent to voters, and the inductees will be announced in December. The 2011 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction ceremony will take place on March 14, 2011 at the Waldorf Astoria in NYC.

Personally, we’re rooting for Tom Waits, Donna Summer, Alice Cooper and Donovan because we think they’d do a way-cool, bang-up all-star jam on “Atlantis.” Or maybe a medley of “She Works Hard for the Money” and “Only Women Bleed.”

6 Responses to “Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Nominees Announced”

1. Kirsten says:

Re: or maybe a medley of “She Works Hard for the Money” and “Only Women Bleed”

Good one! I think that may be the best (i.e. worst) Donna Summer-Alice Cooper medley option. “Love to Love You Baby” into “Welcome to My Nightmare” also a possibility… but doesn’t quite reach the same level of depravity.

2. Martyn says:

fingers crossed for Coop! (and a reunion of the Billion Dollar Babies band)

3. Buck Malen says:

I guess I don’t know what the phrase rock and roll means……this looks like rock/pop/soul/rap hall of fame to me….. with a little gumbo on the side……

4. Julia Thorne says:

That’s an interesting group of nominees. My favs of that list are Beastie Boys and Donna Summer, but how do they define rock& roll? They should rename it the Rock & Pop Hall of Fame.

5. J Hunter says:

Chic I can (sort of) see, if only because of the inspiration for their song “Freak Out!” But… Donna Summer? Really? All jokes aside, how does she rate this — because Jeff “Skunk” Baxter produced “Hot Stuff”? This is why I stopped listening to rock & roll: People seem to have forgotten what it actually is!

For my star-turn duet: LL Cool J and Peter Wolf of J. Geils!

6. Andy M. says:

J. Geils Band, definitely. Alice Cooper, sure, why not. Donovan, if only for his cosmic aura. The fact that Bon Jovi and LL Cool J are even eligible this year makes one feel really old.

If we’re talking collaborations, though, I wouldn’t mind hearing Dr. John belt out Tom Waits’ “Step Right Up”. Joe Tex and Beastie Boys doing “I Gotcha” might be nice. Donovan and LL Cool J taking on “Stoned Soul Picnic” could also be interesting. Maybe for a finale bring out Neil Diamond, backed by Bon Jovi, for a final medley of “C.C. Rider” into “Musta Got Lost” featuring backup vocals by Darlene and Donna.

Jim Gaudet and the Railroad BoysHolly & EvanCartoonist John CaldwellThe Cock'N'Bull RestaurantCaffe LenaAdvertise on Nippertown!Leave Regular Radio BehindHudson SoundsArtist Charles HaymesBerkshire On StageAlbany PoetsThe LindaThe Law Office of Paul Rapp