NAME: TJ Foster
BAND AFFILIATION: The Cast Before the Break
INSTRUMENT: I sing and play guitar.
1. THE FIRST ALBUM I EVER BOUGHT WAS … This is actually a two-fer. I remember going to HMV and purchasing “Significant Other” (Limp Bizkit) and “Americana” (The Offspring) at the same time. These weren’t necessarily the first CDs I owned (I remember being particularly attached to a Candlebox cassette my mom gave me when I was younger…) but definitely the first two I went out and bought myself.
2. THE FIRST CONCERT THAT I EVER SAW WAS … The first concert I ever went to: Papa Roach, Taproot and hed pe when I was like 15. Taproot didn’t even show up.
3. THE FIRST MUSICAL INSTRUMENT I EVER OWNED OR PLAYED WAS … The first instrument I learned was the alto sax. Got pretty good until they made marching a requirement in high school. That’s when I said screw this and decided I wanted to be the next Tom DeLonge… you know, before the weird messiah complex.
4. THE FIRST SONG THAT I EVER PERFORMED IN PUBLIC WAS … I can honestly say I don’t remember the first song I performed in public. I remember the very first band I was in did a cover of “Playmate of the Year” for some show, and that was a terrible mess of fun. But I digress…
5. THE FIRST BAND I WAS EVER IN WAS … The first band I was ever in was called Shock Factor. We started out doing what most 14-year- olds did in my generation: wrote really generic, short songs with power chords galore. Fact: I dyed my hair blue for a short amount of time in this band. Fact 2: The guitar I played in that band was a baby blue Tom DeLonge strat. Its the only guitar I’ve held onto since I started playing, and its actually making an official comeback with Moving Mountains on Friday.