RIP: Malcolm McLaren, 1946-2010

Malcolm McLaren – former manager of the Sex Pistols, a recording artist in his own right and one of rock & roll’s quintessential impresarios – died this morning in New York after a long, arduous bout with cancer.

The homepage of McLaren’s website simply says, “Malcolm will return shortly…”

And while we have no proof, we here at suspect that perhaps McLaren’s demise may have been hastened by watching John Lydon perform with Public Image Ltd. last night on “Jimmy Kimmel Live.”

Watch PiL performing “Rise” from the show, and let us know what you think:

9 Responses to “RIP: Malcolm McLaren, 1946-2010”

1. Michael Hochanadel says:

Ain’t PiL without Jah Wobble. That 4:12 felt like a week, and not in a good way.

2. Greg says:

Shame on you, Mr. Hochanadel. A first-rate journo like you with a misspelled word? I know that you meant to type “weak”…

3. Julie Lomoe says:

You’re right, this is dreadful! I subjected myself to the whole thing, hoping it might improve, but it seemed truly endless. Your comment reminds me of how Charlie Parker allegedly died laughing at an act on the Tommy Dorsey show on TV – but this was nothing to laugh at.

4. LiLi says:

I don’t know what it’s supposed to sound like, never heard of the band before or anything, but 1:30 is as far as I made before I thought my head would explode…

5. Scott C. says:

It’s just that it was so dreadfully ordinary. I liked ’em a lot better on Bandstand, a mere thirty years ago.

6. Alan G. says:

I’m not insinuating that Mr. Lydon has no heart, but upon hearing the news of Malcolm’s passing, he was probably thinking… Good riddance ya bloody wanker!

7. Sara says:

Malcolm McLaren, larger than life.

(thanks for the link.)

8. Andy M. says:

It actually wasn’t THAT much different than the original recording, aside from Mr. Lydon running short of breath in a few places. I’m not saying that makes it great. I kinda like the song itself…but you can now see how he got his nickname. “Rotten” indeed.

Cartoonist John CaldwellThe Cock'N'Bull RestaurantHolly & EvanJim Gaudet and the Railroad BoysCaffe LenaAdvertise on Nippertown!Leave Regular Radio BehindArtist Charles HaymesBerkshire On StageAlbany PoetsHudson SoundsThe LindaCapital Repertory Theater