NAME: Siobhan Quinn
BAND AFFILIATION: Siobhan Quinn & Michael Bowers (and formerly partnered with Ben Murray, who is performing with us at Caffe Lena)
INSTRUMENT: Voice, all kinds. I can’t get enough of the varied and beautiful sounds the voice makes – whether it’s rock, folk, heavy-hitting blues or classical voice doesn’t matter to me. Love it all! And I recently bought a uke. Can’t play it yet, but I’m in love.
1. THE FIRST ALBUM I EVER BOUGHT WAS … Oh, gosh. I scarfed my big brothers’ albums for years (I have four)! The first time I bought an album I went whole hog and actually bought FOUR: Aerosmith’s “Get Your Wings,” Judy Collins’ “Who Knows Where The Time Goes?,” Stevie Wonder’s “Talking Book” and Santana’s “Moonflower” – all used – at a (wasn’t it Music Shack?) record store on River Street in Troy, near the very, very creepy “Skinema” Art. It was so worth it. I think I got them all for maybe $12.
2. THE FIRST CONCERT THAT I EVER SAW … Hmm… I think it was Pete Seeger at the University at Berkeley, CA when I was really little. The first rock concert I saw was the Blues Brothers at SPAC on the Fourth of July.
3. THE FIRST MUSICAL INSTRUMENT I EVER OWNED OR PLAYED WAS … my voice (followed by cello, my second favorite musical sound after the human voice). I was always singing as a kid. My parents always had music on in the house, and all of the family created music like crazy.
4. THE FIRST SONG THAT I EVER PERFORMED IN PUBLIC WAS … “Someday Soon” by Ian Tyson with my brothers’ band Glasshammer at Sacred Heart School in Troy. I was in eighth grade and 13 years old.
5. THE FIRST BAND I WAS EVER IN WAS … I guested with bands from time to time, but mostly sat in with folk performers (Tina Ward and the Matter Babies come to mind). Probably the first regular band I was in was the Bicycle Thieves (1989-1991).
Siobhan Quinn returns to Nippertown for a homecoming concert at Caffe Lena in Saratoga Springs, joining her husband and musical partner Michael Bowers in the spotlight at 8pm on Saturday. Also joining them will be Quinn’s former musical partner, Ben Murray.