Media Watch: Stay Classy, Daily Gazette

Late last week, I read that Dan DiNicola had died. I plugged his name into Google to read more, and here’s what I saw:

So I clicked on that first link, and here’s what I saw:

Dan DiNicola in the Schenectady Gazette

I’ve read the Gazette for a long, long time; aside from the New York Times, it’s probably the paper I read most often. Even though I know more people who work for the Times Union, and my spouse was employed there for 17 years, I’ve always thought that the Gazette had less fluff, more news and was better edited. But c’mon Gazette folks, this is shameful. Your online paywall is stupid (hey, how’s that working for ya?) and I shouldn’t have to wait for the next morning’s edition to read about this. Dan wrote for the Gazette for years and deserves better.

WRGB, Dan’s other media home, got it right, with remembrances by his colleagues, news about the charitable trust that has been established in Dan’s name, and comments from his viewers.

Even the Times Union, the Gazette’s largest competitor, got it right. Here’s a link to a Capital Creative blog posting with more than 50 comments and remembrances.

Tags: , ,

8 Responses to “Media Watch: Stay Classy, Daily Gazette”

1. Andie says:

Wait, so a whole post knocking the gazette as un-classy because of a dead link?

The link from google is still broken, but you can find the obit by searching on the Gazette website (it’s located here: It is, however, behind the pay wall.

2. Andie says:

Here’s that link — the parenthesis at the end killed it above.

3. Sara says:

I just expected better from the Gazette. Bend the rules, show a little loyalty to someone who wrote for them for years.

That, and the fact that they had a top search result from Google and threw it away. But I’m sure they know what they’re doing.

4. BT says:

The pay wall is, in fact, the bigger problem. I can respect it as a business model. But this is different. This is a tribute to one of their own. Do they really want their rival news organizations to be the place where people turn – now, and in the future – for the definitive memorial of the guy? Sometimes owning the issue means giving it away.

5. Sara says:

Thank you, BT. You summed it up much better than I did.

6. Growing up in the ‘urb’s, the Schenectady (ne Daily) Gazette was the paper we had delivered at home. I and my brothers each took a turn at delivering the paper in the ‘hood. (Can you say “hood” when you grow up in the “‘urbs”?).

I think one of the dumber things the Gazette has done in recent years is putting the obits, legal notices, and other public service info behind the paywall. But – and it’s really unfortunate & pains me to say this – if they had made an exception for Mr. DiNicola, that opens the door for other exceptions. Gazette made their bed, now they have to lie in it.

I have to note here, too, that hindsight showed that he was one of the best teachers I ever had at BH-BL.

(this comment is also meant to taunt the Nippertown spam monster…here, kitty, kitty…)

7. Andie says:

They wouldn’t have necessarily needed to make an exception to put together a small tribute page or something. I can see criticizing the paywall on this one — I initially got the impression that your criticism was more about the dead link (which is lame, but didn’t seem like that big a deal).

8. Chris says:

Here is a link to a story about Rupert Murdoch putting a paywall around the TimesOnline website (for the Uk newspaper The Times.)

To sum up, he doesn’t use the internet, he doesn’t understand the internet, and this venture is doomed to failure.

Holly & EvanCaffe LenaCartoonist John CaldwellJim Gaudet and the Railroad BoysThe Cock'N'Bull RestaurantAdvertise on Nippertown!Leave Regular Radio BehindArtist Charles HaymesBerkshire On StageAlbany PoetsThe LindaHudson SoundsAustralian Cattle Dog Rescue Association