BAND AFFILIATION: ThE BLiSTeRz
INSTRUMENT: Guitar and vocals
1. THE FIRST ALBUM I EVER BOUGHT WAS … “Kiss Alive II” on vinyl. You can’t go wrong with Kiss when you are a young, aspiring air guitarist! I still dig them. Their new album, “Sonic Boom,” is great, by the way.
2. THE FIRST CONCERT THAT I EVER SAW WAS … I think it was Eddy Grant in the old gymnasium at Union College in Schenectady. It was back when his big hit, “Electric Avenue,” was climbing the charts. I remember being in awe when he played the guitar with his teeth like Jimi Hendrix. Amazing show!
3. THE FIRST MUSICAL INSTRUMENT I EVER OWNED OR PLAYED WAS … a used KAY acoustic guitar that I bought for $50 through a newspaper classified ad. I still have that guitar and even still use it to write songs on occasionally, despite the body being cracked and the action kinda high. It has sentimental value!
4. THE FIRST SONG THAT I EVER PERFORMED IN PUBLIC WAS … It depends on how you define “public,” but it was probably a parody of the Rolling Stones tune, “Angie” that my college roommate and I changed to “Andy” about a guy who lived in our building. I guess I was the Weird Al Yankovic of the dorms! We did a whole slew of these song parodies and would sing and play them on acoustic guitars for our friends and record them on cassette with an old boom box.
5. THE FIRST BAND I WAS EVER IN WAS … Schizophrenia, named after the one song that we wrote and played repeatedly very loud and out of tune. It was back in college, and we never actually made it out of the dorm room, although we often threatened to. In retrospect, it was a good thing we never did!!!